Take a Seat Leeds
Leeds Civic Trust is bringing colour to Leeds! Would you like to be a part of a city-wide community of colourful benches? We have a small funding pot available for you to customise a bench that will benefit your community – we’ll provide the bench, and your community will provide the creativity!
This opportunity is open to all – including parks, green spaces, local high streets, and community or charitable organisations.
To enter your nomination for a bench, you will need to consider the following;
- A creative and imaginative way of referencing the current Covid-19 pandemic and how the people of Leeds came together and helped one another so readily. There are many ways of doing this but examples could include; a suitable poem, plaque, painted images – please feel free to be as creative as you like!
- Have a suitable place in mind for the bench, with local support and permission sought. (The Trust can offer help).
- Be able to incorporate the Trust logo onto the bench.
- Be in a position where people will find the use of the bench helpful.
- Be within a Leeds postcode.
- Be able to participate in a special ‘Take a Seat’ launch day in June 2021.
Guidance and Timescales
- In addition to the bench itself, the Trust will provide a donation of £450 towards materials to decorate the bench.
- The bench to be in place by 1 June 2021 (unless there are unforeseen delays due to the current Covid-19 situation).
- For the bench dimensions and details click here.
- The local community should be engaged during the process.
- The Trust should be shown the final design before any decoration is begun.
- Where possible to source materials and resources locally; from independent traders, any commissioned artists/makers that you may use to be Leeds based.
- The final design should be non-political and secular.
- The Trust reserves the right to prioritise applications for benches in areas where there is greater need.
We’re Interested, what do we do next?
Great! Please send us an email replying to the points below;
- Please tell us if you are applying as a member of an organisation, charity etc e.g. you may be part of a ‘Friends of’ group? And do you have their overall support in applying?
- Where would the bench be?
- How do you intend to engage the local community in the design and decoration of the bench?
- Do you have an initial/rough idea for the design? If you do, we’d love to see it!
- How would you reflect Covid-19 within the design (again, this can just be a rough idea at this stage).
- Would you require Trust assistance in gaining permission to install the bench?
- Confirmation that you have an independent bank account into which the money can be paid.
Send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org with the heading ‘Take A Seat’ by 12pm on Monday 30th November.
(Unfortunately we can’t consider applications received later).
What happens after this
We will review all applications received. Each applicant will be informed by Friday 11th December if they have been successful, unsuccessful applicant will also be notified.
Please note that there is a limited number of grants available and we anticipate a high level of interest, therefore please do not be dismayed if you have not been successful this time. The Trust often runs similar grant awards.
Not sure? If you’d like to discuss your bench idea or if you’d like to find out more feel free to get in touch with Meleri Roberts, Leeds Civic Trust’s Development and Engagement Manager either via email@example.com or on 07840454664.